A Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG) can help emergency responders find crucial information fast. It’s intended for use during transporting incidents of hazardous goods and shipments. It helps you satisfy U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) requirements, and is a great tool to aid in emergency preparedness, planning, and training. The safety and compliance experts from J.J. Keller share seven reasons why this guide can be handy for your driving and emergency needs:
1. It contains the most recent and updated response information for your use during an incident.
It’s important to know exactly what to do and what requirements are necessary to satisfy the DOT needs. The 2020 ERG can steer you to take the correct steps and actions necessary during an incident.
2. It contains new shipping names and ID numbers that can’t be found in previous editions.
This will give you more time and convenience when trying to contact or track locations and ID’s.
3. It eliminates the hassle of checking previous editions for updated shipment response information.
It’s more convenient for you, and still gives you all the emergency information you will need.
4. It’s the easiest way to comply with §172.602.
DOT’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) states that the most updated emergency response information should be used to satisfy §172.602.
5. It eliminates the worry of not having the correct response information.
When in an emergency, stress and worry can overpower the situation. You can take that extra weight off your shoulders by being prepared with the correct and updated information in the 2020 ERG.
6. Enforcement expects you to have the most current edition, the 2020 ERG.
It’s important for everyone to be on the same page. While enforcement will have the most updated version of the ERG, so will you.
7. When transporting hazmat, an ERG is one of the several ways you can accompany your shipping papers.
The hazmat regulations require most hazardous materials shipments to have emergency response information on or with the shipping papers. Having the ERG is one of many ways to satisfy the requirements in §172.602.
Author: Anna Demetree