Our friends at Labelmaster provided us with the lastest updates in the IMDG Code…and before we get into the updates, let’s review what the IMDG Code is all about.
WHAT IS THE IMDG CODE?
The IMDG Code is the global, international reference for shipping dangerous goods by maritime vessel on the water. The 2-volume IMO DG regulations is required for anyone shipping DG by water and features updates and revisions regarding packaging and storage requirements for all regulated hazardous materials.
Here’s six highlights on the IMDG Code:
- Adopted in the 1965
- Formed to prevent all types of sea pollution
- Ensures safe packaging and transport of dangerous goods by sea
- Applies to all cargo ships around the world
- Created per UN recommendations by the International Maritime Organization (IMO)
- Latest edition published in 2018, the 39th Amendment
WHAT’S NEW IN THE IMDG CODE 39TH AMENDMENT?
- 18 new segregations group codes.
- Many updates and additions to the Dangerous Goods List (DGL).
- Overhauled Chapter 2.8, Classification of Corrosives.
- Clarification that only the applicable Proper Shipping Name (PSN) should be used when there are several distinct PSNs under one UN Number.
- Stowage categories of several Class 1 materials have been amended Chapter 5.3 is now extended to cover bulk containers.
2018 IMDG Code, 39th Amendment is Effective January 1, 2019 and Required January 1, 2020.
As a CrownSource customer, you have access to deep discounts on the products you need – like regulatory items including the 2018 IMDG Code Books from Labelmaster to keep your fleet running smoothly. Login to our eProcurement Platform, CrownConnect, to see all our regulatory items and over three million other products sourced especially for the transportation industry. Not a customer? Schedule a demo now.